22. I was going to gamble on their inspection ending there, before they dug deeper to my diaries.—— The success of my plan would depend on their stopping the inspection when they saw the stamped broadcast scripts and not going further to find what was beneath the scripts. But this was a great risk to take.我要把宝押在他们的检查到此为止上,而不再往下翻到我的日记。
gamble on sth./ doing sth.:希望成功而冒着失败的危险做……,压赌注
eg: You shouldn't gamble on one exams. 你不应该把命运压在一次考试上。
eg: He called for another vote, gambling on getting more support.
他要求再举行一次投票,冒着失败的危险寻求更多人的支持。
eg: You shouldn't gamble on the supply of spare parts arriving promptly.
你可不能把赌注全押在零件能立即到位这一点上。 在这个句型中,gamble后面的动名词表示的是主语的行为(如getting more support),如果不是就需要在动名词的前面加上一个名词短语作其逻辑主语, 如their inspection和 the supply of spare parts.它们的行为分别是 ending和 arriving.
23. The feared Gestapo, I knew, was really not very efficient. It was true that the Gestapo were much feared. But they were not as competent as they were thought to be.我知道那些令人畏惧的盖世太保并非真的很能干。(注意挖苦的口吻。)
Efficient, adj.能干的,有效率的efficiency, n.效率
24. Everything at Gestapo headquarters worked out as I had planned.在秘密警察总部,一切都按照我的计划顺利进行。
work out: develop in a specific way按……发展;产生结果;成功
eg: Their experiment worked out differently. 他们实验产生了不同的结果。
eg: Things did not work out as well as we expected. 情况的发展不如我们预料的那样好。
eg: Their marriage did not work out. 他们的婚姻并不成功。
25. They had been very valuable to me in reporting the army's great victories. I realized I shouldn’t take out General Staff maps.这些地图对我报道军队的伟大胜利非常有用。我认识到我不应该把军用地图带出德国。(对付盖世太保作者采用了两个手法, 一是假意赞扬,二是主动“认错”,二者均十分奏效。)
valuable to对……有价值,有用
eg: These materials are valuable to him in studying the ancient culture. 这些资料对他研究古代文化非常有价值。
26. every page, as you see, stamped for approval by the High Command and two ministries. 你看
[1]
本文标签:广东自考 公共课 自考综合英语(二)下册详解第十二课下
转载请注明:文章转载自(http://www.gdzkw.net)
热点关注: